The carpel tunnel is a passageway made up of the carpal bones located on the palm side of your wrist. The median nerve and flexor tendons (tendons that connect the fingers to the muscles of the forearm) pass through this narrow tunnel.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a common nerve disorder that occurs when the median nerve becomes pinched or pressed at the wrist. Symptoms include pain, swelling, numbness, tingling, itching, or weakness in the wrist. Most symptoms occur in the thumb, index, and middle fingers.
Many people associate CTS with typing and computer usage; however there are many other activities and medical conditions (pregnancy, thyroid disease, obesity, diabetes or arthritis) that can cause the disorder. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is not necessarily permanent. Because the irritation can be mild, many people do not seek treatment when these symptoms araise. Seek the help of a healthcare professional in order to diagnose your condition before it worsens.
There are many steps you can take before electing to have surgery. As with most medical issues, prevention is favorable to treatment.
Here are some helpful prevention methods:
- Take breaks between repetitive movements. This can be anything from using a screwdriver, to typing, to playing a musical instrument.
- Stretch and shake out your wrists while working.
- Reduce your grip and force when holding objects.
- Consider your office ergonomics: make sure your work station is set up so that your posture is good and your wrist and fingers are not getting strained. Read more about the benefits of workplace ergonomics here.
- Do your best to live a healthy and active lifestyle. Obesity can contribute to CTS.
- See your doctor on a regular basis. He or she may see signs that could lead to future problems.
DASHA® “independent client providers”provides many services for people suffering with Carpal Tunnel:
- Physical therapy
- Active Release Technique
- Graston Technique
- Medical Message
- Chiropractic Care
Please contact us if you would like more information about our services.