Let’s Get to The Core

/, Lifestyle, Wellness/Let’s Get to The Core

Let’s Get to The Core

By | 2019-08-02T07:32:15-04:00 July 10th, 2019|Healthy Nutrition, Lifestyle, Wellness|

What does a healthy core mean to you? Strength, muscle, abs… well yes, those are all crucial elements for a strong core but it’s also essential to understand that a healthy and tighten core has a lot to do with what you’re eating. 

Let’s start with the basics first. The core is a complex set of muscles located in the midsection of your body. This midsection includes your abdominal muscles, pelvic muscles, and back muscles, all of which work together as your bodies stabilizer. What happens when these core muscles are weakened? Well, you’ll start to realize that you’re relying on your arms to help you get out of a chair, you’re swaying to one side when you walk, and/or you hold your breath during core exercises. Other signs that you need to strengthen your core is back pain and bad posture. Both of which can lead to long term and/or worsen problems if not treated properly by a chiropractor

 Now that we know the signs to look out for it’s time to get to strengthening! They’re tons of different exercises that you can do to work the muscles in your core like planks, including the #FitSHA 15 Day Plank Challenge, and while those are all effective in tightening your core muscles it’s only about 25%. So where does the other 75% come from? It comes from what you’re eating. 

 Here are a few simple key food suggestions we recommend you incorporate into your daily diet routine…  

  • Apples – As a great source of fiber (containing around 5 grams), apples are the perfect way to stop those unhealthy cravings and keep you feeling full. Also, it may just be a coincidence but an apple has a core also!   
  • Almonds – The mineral magnesium found in almonds is crucial for building and maintaining muscle, regulating blood sugar and providing you with that extra boost of energy. Almonds are also rich in protein, fiber, and Vitamin E. 
  • Vegetables – Stick with your greens! Vegetables like spinach and broccoli are high in calcium which helps strengthen your core muscles. 

There are plenty of ways to prepare these foods and you may already be incorporating them into your diet without even noticing. So next time you go for that bag of popcorn when the midday hunger starts to creep up on you just think of what your core would want you to do! 

About the Author:

Shannon Russo-Pollack (SHA) Founder of DASHA® known as the powerhouse behind the DASHA® brand. SHA strategically works with medical, wellness and lifestyle professionals who share the same philosophy of total body health and well-being. Shannon's entrepreneur skills and healthy lifestyle habits help to inspire and positively reinvent ones purpose.