The line between work and home is not as clear as it used to be… in fact, it’s practically invisible these days. More often than not, our work lives and personal lives blend into one, leaving it almost impossible for us to maintain a healthy balance. There is hope however; by learning to delineate between the two and then applying specific tips to help underscore that difference, we can achieve a balanced and more satisfying life. The following are 10 tips to consider when trying to foster that all-important work-life balance:
1. Mind your time. During an average work week, keep a schedule of everything you do that is either work-related or personal, carefully keeping track of the time devoted to each task. At the end of the week, take a look at the math of how you spend your time: how much time goes to work? How much to your personal life? Can changes be made?
2. Consider alternatives. You never know until you ask- ask your company, boss, or HR person if there are any work alternatives available to you: working at home one day a week, say, or telecommuting in general. This can also be a good way to open a general discussion of how much time you are devoting to work-related tasks and whether changes need to be made.
3. Create boundaries. You can say no once in awhile. We’ve all become accustomed to such a heavy work burden that many of us have forgotten that we can draw lines. Do you have a special weekend planned with your family? Remember that you do have a right to politely say no to that “just come in for a few hours on the weekend” suggestion from your employer.
4. Don’t work in your “off” time. When you are taking a break, really take a break. Don’t check emails, review work, or keep your smart phone on “loud”. Let your mind rest and get truly rested and refreshed.
5. Organize! Better management of your time can make a big difference to work-life balance. Sometimes just drafting a schedule can be the easy fix you need to get back on track.
6. Call in the reinforcements. If you’re stressed, turn to friends for advice, or even co-workers to help out with your workload. You don’t have to be in this alone. Professional services, too, can be a huge help- consider getting a massage or consulting with experts like DASHA® who can help you relieve stress and refocus your energies.
7. Take time for yourself. This really means “time for yourself”… that is to say, it does not even include family time. We all need to be alone once in a while and decompress and re-center ourselves. Even if it’s only 15 minutes in a day, take some time to be alone with your thoughts and get back to your center.
8. Stay flexible. You may need a bit of structure to reorganize your life in the beginning, but, once you are back on track, it’s important to realize that your plans may need to change. Not every week is going to be exactly like the one before- focus on maintaining balance overall, instead of forcing things into place.
9. Get some rest. Try not to cheat on sleep to buy yourself some time in your day. Getting 8 hours of sleep is important for every working adult… even if you lose an hour or two of waking time, you’ll actually function better and more productively if you are well-rested.
10. Get some exercise. Taking care of your physical well-being is critical to maintaining overall health and well-being. Taking just 20 minutes a day to exercise will make you better prepared to tackle the bigger issues of work-life balance.
The experts at Dasha Wellness know all about achieving work-life balance in life; for more details on their services and how they can help you get the equilibrium you need in your day, contact DASHA® wellness & spa at 212-755-5500 or visit dashawellness.com.